I am still salivating.
The “Lock-The-Door” Zucchini Season is upon us. You know that expression, right? It means that friends, neighbours, even the odd passerby will drop unwanted zucchini off, in their quest to not let food go to waste.
Right now however, it’s too early for that. I am still in anticipation when I walk out to my garden to find zucchini’s. I pick them young and fry them with our freshly harvested garlic. Or I put them on a pizza.
The Zucchini Lasagna I put together yesterday used some of the bigger zucchini’s. The recipe is quite simple:
1. Create your own version of a bolognese sauce but omit the zucchini. Here is a recipe for your inspiration.
2. Slice your zucchini. I used my trusted, very Dutch, cheese slicer.
3. Start with one layer of sauce in a baking dish.
4. Cover with the zucchini slices.
5. Follow with another layer of bolognese sauce.
6. One more layer of zucchini slices and bolognese sauce.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven (190C) for about 30 minutes.
8. Add your choice of cheese… I used home-made, fresh mozzarella – lucky me!
9. Put back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
10. I served this with a green salad and sauerkraut. It was seriously delicious and I’m still salivating.
I’m thinking that my next lot of small zucchini’s are going to be spiralised into ‘spaghetti’. Maybe a pesto and bacon sauce to go with it. I might not try to get rid of zucchini’s this season after all.